Sunday, July 29, 2018

Make A Joyful Noise: Wayfaring Stranger

I was 26 years old when I had my first child.  After weeks (and weeks, and weeks) of prodromal and then early labor in the 110+ degree weather, my doctor was kind enough to induce my labor.  I was able to casually get ready to shower, paint my nails, pack in a relaxed manner, and show up a bit nervous but overall calm.  The nurses checked me in, went about getting me hooked up to monitors, and got Pitocin started.

Cue the end of my calm.

The pain was something I was not prepared for.  Don't get me wrong...I had watched the videos, read the books, attended friend's deliveries.  None of that, however, was a first hand experience.  My doctor just so happened to be on-call for both of our town's hospitals (a few miles apart).  He had put orders in for me to be able to have pain medication, but not an epidural. These I.V. pain medications were strong...very strong; which meant that I was asleep...deep asleep.  Nothing could cause me to wake up, save a contraction.  I would wake up right as a contraction peaked, panicking and in unbearable pain.  As soon as the contraction passed, it was back to sleep for me. This cycle repeated for hours until the doctor arrived and I was allowed an epidural, at which point it was peaceful sleep.

Until it came time for baby.

Pushing was painful.  Very painful.  My peace disappeared and was replaced with fear.  No matter how many weeks I had spent reading, learning, and preparing for this moment, I was hurting, scared, and vulnerable.  The nurse holding my hand kept whispering in my ear "just keep picturing baby Mary in your arms, this will all be worth it".  However much I was not happy for the rainbows and unicorns speech in my ear (I am by nature, not an optimist), I held on to her message.

And then she was there.  Seven pounds, thirteen ounces of beauty.  Within minutes, I had forgotten the last 19 hours of labor.  None of it mattered.  The amazing reward at the end of the suffering.  My perfect little baby girl was in my arms.  The vision of holding her had helped me get through the pain of the moment in order to make it to the reward.

The hymn "Wayfaring Stranger" reminds us of how clinging to the promise of a future with our Heavenly Father provides us with comfort and safety in the dark and painful moments of our lives here on Earth.

The hymn has been attributed to numerous sources and cultures in the region, and is believed to have been written as early as the  1780s. Most common amongst these, however, is the attribution to the Southern Appalachian region.  In a region that was overwhelmed by poverty, strife, isolation, and violence.  Dreams of a future without suffering provided the relief from the day to day hardships they lived with.

We see this hope is actually a promise made to us in Revelation 21:4,

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain anymore,
for the former things have passed away.” (ESV)

You see, dear one, while suffering is inescapable, God gave us the gift of promise.  A promise of an end to our suffering.  A promise of limitless love.  And peace, everlasting.  Even better, he designed the human brain to have the capacity to imagine.  And that ability to imagine allows us to envision our eternal home, and cling to His promises when the day to day of this world is so painful it feels like you cannot breathe.  I will never tell you that God has a plan for your suffering.  I will, however, tell you that God has a plan for comfort in the midst of your suffering.  All we must do is close our eyes and dream of our forever home.

Will you join me in prayer?


Lord, we come to you in prayer asking that peace be poured out over those who are suffering today.  Meet them where they are.  Offer them the love, healing, and peace that only You can bring.  When life feels so dark and painful that they cannot fathom taking one more breath, remind them that all they need is to close their eyes and envision the future You have in store for us.


Amen                                                                        

In Love, JSB

I am a poor wayfaring stranger
While traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, toil, or danger
In that bright world to which I go

I know dark clouds will gather o'er me
I know the pathway's rough and steep
But golden fields lie out before me
Where weary eyes no more shall weep

I'm going there to see my Father
I'm going there no more to roam
I am just going over Jordan
I am going over home.

I'll soon be free from every trial
This form will rest beneath the sod
I'll drop the cross of self-denial
And enter in my home with God

I'm going there to see my Savior
Who shed for me His precious blood
I am just going over Jordan
I am just going over home,
I am just going over home



http://www.manhattanbeachmusic.com/html/wayfaring_stranger.html
http://www.legacy-america.net/2012/01/31/spirit-heritage-in-song-wayfaring-stranger-c-late-1700s/

No comments:

Post a Comment