Sunday, July 29, 2018

Make A Joyful Noise: Just As I Am

Just before my twelfth birthday, after having lived in Hawaii for six years, my family was moved from Hawaii to Oregon. To say that we experienced culture shock would be an understatement; and it began within our first hour in the state.  The drive from Portland International Airport to our new home was over an hour and a half.  I could count the number of one and a half hour long drives I remembered on one hand and have fingers left to spare (if you are curious, the only one less happy about the length of our drive was our poor cat Whiskers, who was none too happy about her trip). 

As soon as we got to the town my Dad jumped out at a gas station to pump gas for our car.  All of a sudden, a very excited gas station attendant came running, yelling at him about not pumping his own gas.  As soon as he arrived pumpside, the attendant explained the illegality of pumping your own gas in Oregon. 

Next up, the grocery store.  In Hawaii, food is expensive.  And not "I will go with the generic" expensive.  It is "we cannot afford that item" expensive.  Also, since a large amount of food is shipped to the islands, consistent access to any particular item (at least at that time) was not a guaranteed thing.  So the first time my mom went to the grocery store, well, you know how you look at the candy bar aisle some times, and just can't decide? It was like that.  Except it was the entire store.

What I didn't realize was that the biggest culture shock was yet to come.  On my first day of school, I nervously approached the front door.  I had no clue what to expect.  I had been plucked out of a culture and social group I knew and transplanted into a world that was total foreign to me.  I sounded different than everyone around me.  I had no concept of local culture, fashion, or customs. I just didn't fit.  It wasn't until I met a friend who had also moved from a state much different than where we lived that I found the first person who understood me, and accepted me as I was.  Awkward, unaware of social norms, sad and homesick...none of it mattered.  I was simply her friend.

In 1834, Charlotte Elliott wrote Just As I Am.  The granddaughter of a well-known preacher in the area, Elliot was an author.  In her thirties, Elliott was left disabled after contracting a serious illness.  Understandably angry at this monumental change, her mentor challenged her to turn her anger to peace. It was then that she began writing hymns. 

As time went by, Elliott continued writing.  One day, all members of her family attended an event.  Due to her disability, she was unable to attend.  It was at this moment that she recalled the words of her mentor so many years before, and wrote Just As I Am.

One of the most beautiful, repeated messages through out the Bible is the message of love and acceptance.  So often, we feel that we are not ready to present ourselves before God.  Our clothes aren't clean enough.  Our children are noisy.  Our sin is too big, and we don't know how to stop it.  We feel broken. However, time and time again, we see Jesus meet people where they are, just as they are.  Be it the man with the withered hand (Mark 3:1-6), The woman bleeding (Matthew 9:20-22), the man from Gadarenes (Matthew 8:28-34),  or the boy possessed (Mark 9: 21-24).  God accepts and desires us, unrefined, unfiltered, baggage and all.

37 All that the Father
gives me will come to me,
and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.
John 36:7 (ESV)

Dear One, did you see that? No matter what, we will never be cast out! Can you imagine?  I don't know about you, but I have known a lot of heartache and rejection in my life.  The thought of someone who will never turn me away? It simply blows my mind!


Will you join me in prayer?

Heavenly Father, we are so thankful that you have given us the gift of never ending acceptance, exactly as we are.  There is no need for filters, changes, upgrades, or modifications.  You only ask that we come to You; You have rest already figured out.  Lord, we come to you today, just as we are, warts and all.  Pour your love and acceptance over us.

Amen                                                                   

In Love, JSB

Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidst me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 

Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 

Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
sight, riches, healing of the mind,
yea, all I need in thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 

Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 

Just as I am, thy love unknown
hath broken every barrier down;
now, to be thine, yea thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 


https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-just-as-i-am-comes-from-writers-struggle-with-confining-il

No comments:

Post a Comment