Sunday, July 29, 2018

Make A Joyful Noise: It Is Well With My Soul

When push comes to shove, most of us will admit that suffering is a normal part (albeit awful and painful part) of life.  We encounter patches of life that are one awful disaster after another, with no end in sight.  For many, these times will push us about three time zones past our limits.  We will feel alone, despondent, and broken.

While there has never been a shortage of challenges in my life, there was one particular stretch that will always stand out in my mind.  A massive forest fire broke out a matter of miles down the road from our house, and beyond having to worry about evacuating my own family, most of us were on alert for the possibility of assisting emergency crews to evacuate vulnerable adults if the fire came too close to their homes.

After years of sexual harassment in the workplace, I was raped by a (the same) colleague.  I went through all of the "right steps" (completing a sexual assault forensic exam and reporting my rape to the police as a named victim), reported to our human resources office, and complied with every request.  The investigations became increasingly ugly.  Common friends chose him.  More and more people learned my story without my knowledge or consent.

Two years later, when the investigation finally concluded, I asked to view the report.  At the same time that I received the report (which was dozens of pages of theories which contradicted themselves, all blaming me), I learned I had lost someone close to suicide.  A few months later, a friendship ended.  A few more months and my Grandmother died.  It seemed like if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.

Talk about a Job-Streak!

You know who else had a similar streak? Horatio G. Spafford.  While I am positive that the name doesn't sound familiar, you likely know his work,  Spafford wrote the famous hymn "It Is Well With My Soul" in 1873, after a series of tragedies that seems so cruel it could only happen in a movie, not in real life.

Spafford was a successful attorney with a strong faith, a large family, and financial prosperity. He was a devout Christian, a good and faithful servant.

Then, the suffering began.  In 1871, Spafford suffered tremendous financial loss due to the Great Chicago Fire.  Two years later, Spafford, his wife, and four daughters were to go on vacation to Europe.  A delay kept Spafford behind, but the family went ahead with plans for Spafford to catch up.  Within less than a day, the ship sank, and his four daughters died.  His wife survived, however, and Spafford rushed to meet her.  In 1878, Spafford and his wife had another child; a son.  Two short years later, he died from scarlet fever. 

Move over, Job!


Spafford's words provide a beautiful, bittersweet reminder that no matter our circumstances, we are alone.  He reminds us that we can find joy during our pain.

Dear one, please don't misunderstand.  There are far to many people in the world (some well-meaning, others, well, not so much) ready to tell you that you should stand up with a plastic smile and declare you are happy for your misery.  Not only is there no Biblical support for this, it is cruel.  When the circumstances of this world bring suffering and misery rushing into our life, God has no desire for feigned happiness, rainbows and glitter, or platitudes.

That statement that God won't give you more than you can handle? Garbage.

The platitude that God has a lesson in every heartache? Ridiculous.

Life just hurts some times.  It is painful.  No one can escape it.  Rich or poor; young or old; disabled or not.  Suffering is universal and doesn't discriminate. 
We are called, however, to live with joy in the midst of suffering; to accept joy (the fruit of the Spirit) and cling to it in the midst of our suffering. 

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing,
18 give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)

Why? Because this world is not our home.  This is but a stop on our journey to our forever home with our Heavenly Father.

In my Father's house are many rooms.
If it were not so, would I have told you
that I go to prepare a place for you? (ESV)




Dear one, as long as we are breathing, there will be pain and suffering in this world.  And God wants so desperately for us to bring everything...be it promotions and prosperity or death and heartache...to Him.  He has taken our sin.  He has taken our suffering.  It was nailed along with Him to the cross that dark day.  We simply have to choose to let that suffering remain at the cross.

Will you join us in a word of prayer?

Heavenly Father, we come to you today asking that you remind us that even in our darkest moments, when the pain and suffering seems so overwhelming that it threatens to drown us, that you are there.  You have promised to remain with us in our darkest moments.  Lord, fill us with your love and strengthen us.  Holy Spirit, remind us that we are called to choose joy always, even in the midst of sorrow.

Amen                                                                 




In Love, JSB

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul. 

It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-it-is-well-with-my-soul

No comments:

Post a Comment