Saturday, July 21, 2018

These Bones - Part Three: A Prophecy and Command

Good to see you, friend! If you have been following along with us, we left off in Part Two with an in-shock Ezekiel wandering through a vision that could make some of the most terrifying horror movies pale by comparison.

Today, let's look at the next chunk of our Scripture text, Ezekiel 37: 4-6:

Then he said to me, “Prophesy over these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the Lord.” (ESV)

Out of the whole text, no matter how many times I have read it, this part of the passage always strikes me as both the most uplifting and overwhelming.  At the same time.  God sees Ezekiel...He sees His children in exile.  He can see how they thirst...soul-thirst.  God speaks to Ezekiel and not only says He can see the thirst, but that the soul-thirst is so profound that they have become dry, bleached bones, turning into dust in a valley; and then God tells Ezekiel "but I have a solution". God's solution? All of those dry, bleached, dismembered bones floating around the valley floor? He can bring them back together.  While dead is less of a spectrum than most things in life, it doesn't get more dead than this.  God says "I've got this".

All that is needed? Faith.

I am not sure if is just me (and my incredibly stubborn, self-reliant approach to life), but it seems like every time the answer to my problem is "Jeanette, step out in faith", my response is "God, why won't you answer me?" Y'all, I seriously need a post-it that says "A different answer than what you wanted is not the same as no answer".

In our passage, Ezekiel finds himself facing this same challenge.  He has lost everything.  The problem has been pointed out by God.  The solution is literally words away from fruition.  The only thing required? The faith to speak the Word of God into the driest of bones, bringing them back to life.

Check back in with us to see Ezekiel's amazing leap of faith!



No comments:

Post a Comment